Tuesday, September 20, 2016

The wait is over, long live the wait (more on lights, your chance to vote

Some stuff came in from the company I was worried about!
At this point it's hard to know if internet reviews have any value. f$#k!

Futurlec, just so we are clear. Got a fair bit of bad review along with some good.
I got in LED's a number of different logic chips, pull-up resistors, etc.

2 orders. They arrived in 3 -4 weeks. This is typical for shipping from hong-kong.  So NOT the 3 months some said.

It looks mostly correct for parts and quantities, so while customer conversation with them was poor, it seems (at first glance) that they supplied what was asked for.

Now sadly, I have to test a bunch of these parts to see if they work, or are just a bunch of dead plastic.

First the LED's. (because they are easier and FUN!) and lead to blinking lights.
I have my 1st issue. I bought 50 each of red, blue, green and yellow. I got one (50) bag of blue that actually is red. I want to cut them some slack on this, All of the LED's are completely clear when not powered, I really don't know how that would not happen more often.

IF it is the only error, I'll consider this a decent buy. If it's only the start of the problems ...

So I wired up a few to get a look at 'em.  In groups of 3 just like on the KI-10 console. As you can see, I only got the 1 blue LED on the end. (They look better in real life than the pic)



below a part of the KI console











<<skip this if your eyes are glazing over)
I did some detailed testing because I wanted to know about power usage, etc.

Oddly the blue and green LED's have a forward voltage drop of 3 volts while the red and yellow only eat 2 volts. In any case that means with my guesstimated 150 ohm pull-up B&G are using 13 ma while R&Y are using 20 ma.

I may do more testing later, because I turned the voltage down to see where they started to actually emit light, and they actually start to work at amazingly low currents. This seems important, as I have to worry about the amount of power the system will use. (heat space cooling, etc...)
<<end of skip)

Now for the important part, the vote! My plan is to mostly use alternating blue and green LEDs in homage to the KI console, but WHAT do YOU think?
Post your vote as a comment to the post.

Meanwhile, There is now some serious time needed to do parts testing. Hopefully I'll get good results and wont need to spend so much time on that later, but for now, I gotta know if this stuff works.
The really good news for me is that this stuff is way cheaper than it was back in the day. If it works...

You may here me say this again. This could take me a while...

3 comments:

  1. Yes, I think the blue and green sets would look good.

    PS, Hi everybody.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote for rainbow colored lights! But then, I live in LA and am a hippie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gary,

    My comment from a minute earlier disappeared. I'll try again.

    How is the testing of the logic you received going? I'm guessing that you went back to (real) work for a while.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete